Once upon a time… Victor Hugo, Camille Saint-Saëns, Charlie Chaplin, Coco Chanel, Gary Cooper, Sacha Guitry, Hirohito, Nelson Mandela, Hussein de Jordanie…
Stars in the history of the century, who have in common the fact that they walked up on the marble and velvet of the Beau-Rivage Palace. And this is no accident. Closely linked to the development of the little port of Ouchy, the history of the hotel starts in 1857.
First years. Its huge lounges, with their
18th century frescos, were, from the very start, the scene of sumptuous balls and dinners. The exceptionally beautiful surroundings, the luxurious room furnishings and the highest standards of service soon gave the hotel an international reputation. And such was its almost immediate popularity that it quickly came to the point where the hotel had to expand.
In 1861, construction was started on an annexe, Le Chalet.
Then in 1908, in response to an ever-increasing demand, construction of the Palace was entrusted to the architects Jost, Bezencenet & Schnell. Their concept of a building that was exuberantly neo-baroque, with later art deco flourishes, is linked to the Beau-Rivage a rotunda of classical simplicity.
There was no question, of course, of saving on quality. The central dome of the main dining room is by Dickmann.
The Zurich painter, Haberer, created the fresco in the Rotonde. The bronze chandeliers and ornamental wall lights were supplied by Thiébaud of Paris.
The stylist Chiara was responsible for the design of the glass panels which decorate the lift and which are identical to those in the Paris Ritz. Neo-baroque is known for its highly ornamental decorative styling which certainly gave great pleasure to the hotel guests of that period.